Livestock animals are of great importance to the welfare of men all over the globe. They are raised and kept on for various reasons. An essential purpose of having livestock is food production and supply. The most important reasons why animals are raised or kept are as follows:
For meat production
Meat is the flesh or muscle and the associated fat, connective tissue of slaughtered animals, e.g., pork, mutton, beef, chevon, etc. Meat is a very good source of animal protein in the diet of man. Moreover, animal protein is necessary for the metabolic processes in the body.
For milk production
Milk is a white creamy colored secretion from the mammary glands of female animals, and it is produced after parturition (an act of giving birth). This is also a very valuable source of animal protein. Cattle, sheep, and goats are good sources of milk.
For egg production
Poultry eggs are products gotten from laying chickens, and they are taken by humans. Fortunately, it is also a good source of protein too.
Other products gotten from livestock animals are:
- Hides and skin; for leather industries and they are also edible
- Chemical or liquid extractions form internal organs of animals; these are used in the pharmaceutical industries to manufacture hormones, medicines, and other kinds of drugs
- Animal fats; it is used for soap production; lubricating oil, and drug synthesis
- Horns and hooves; used in the industry to produce gelatin, buttons, glues, buttons, and some other items
- Manures; these are the droppings from animals and they can be used as fertilizers by farmers or for methane gas production
Intangible benefits of keeping livestock are:
- Companionship; animals could serve as pets or companions to humans.
- Income generation; we have people who raise animals to sell when matured.
- Some can be used as draught animals in carrying out farm operations such as plowing and harrowing while they can be used for house .chores. Animals in this category are Cattle, Oxen, Horse, Donkey, and dog.
- Some animals can be used as beasts of burden to help in carrying heavy loads.
- Some animals are natural weeders around the home.