Housing which is usually the open-sided type in the intensive system of pig production is more sophisticated and capital intensive. The pig house will generally comprise a concrete or hard floor, adequate shelter, shade and floor space, and adequate feeding and watering facilities for the pigs.
Pig house Siting and preliminary considerations
Pig houses cost a lot of money. It is, therefore, necessary to give careful thought to the right design in order to justify the investment. The following hints are useful when building a pig house.
- The site chosen should be dry and well-drained, which will help the effective disposal of effluents.
- Ideally, pig building should be on a slight slope to facilitate drainage and disposal of effluent.
- Siting should be done to avoid obstruction of air movement by other building.
- Sites should be accessible to vehicles and other transportation means for delivering of feeds, animals and for pickup of pigs for slaughter and for proper effluent disposal.
- The buildings should not be located in areas where traffic is high.
- The buildings should be built near a good source of clean, fresh and constant water supply.
- Pig houses should be placed in such a way that they are protected from extreme sun rays, rains, and wind draught. Placement of building such that longest side runs from the east to the west would prevent most of these problems. Ground temperatures will be lower under the East-West orientation because the ground will be shaded for a greater part of the day. Large evergreen trees planted around the house serve as shade and a windbreak.
- A suitable plan for the house should be drawn up and the size of the house decided before construction begins.
- The house should be well ventilated, easy to clean and allow plenty of sunshine. Construction of pig houses with open sides, which may be screened or protected with iron protectors, will provide ample ventilation.
- The house should have a good foundation, be solid and should have a good roof which provides shade and protection.
- Pig houses should be properly spaced and located away from other animal houses and abattoirs.