What is Pig Farming?
Pig production involves the raising and management of pigs mainly for meat (Pork). This aspect of livestock farming has gained a top recognition in most part of the world, except in Arabic or Islamic countries due to religious reasons. It is one of the lucrative agribusinesses in the West-African region. It is a profitable business because the cost of production is low compared to other livestock farming business.
Wherever pig farming is being discussed, what comes to most people’s mind is ‘Dirty Animals.’ This is a common mentality. But anywhere I’m opportune to orientate people about pigs, I always tell them that pigs are one of the neat and decent animals in the world. In a standard pig farm, with all necessary facilities in place, observe the pigs available there and prove me wrong.
Now the main reason for publishing this article, like I have done for Poultry and Cattle is that I want my readers to know some facts and tips about pigs farming business. Yes, I will recommend the business to anyone and everyone because pigs are easy to manage, requires less capital to start up, and they are prolific in giving birth to offspring. I raised pigs and I earned good money from it.
Facts About Pigs and Pig Farming Business
The following are the information to be noted about pigs and pig farming business:
- It requires less capital to start.
- The degree of profit depends on production management.
- They can eat anything e.g. kitchen wastes, farm crop residues etc., but most of these junks make them develop more body fat and less of edible meat.
- Good and nutrient-rich feeds should be given to them especially at the younger age.
- Good breeding practice brings out good result in pig farming.
- Pure foundation stock can be used for a longer time and even can be used for rapid expansion.
- Pigs are prolific animals i.e. they can give birth to many young at a time.
- They are less prone to diseases but are very susceptible to helminths (Parasitic Worms).
- They perform well under good housing management.
- They are to be given enough water to drink and wallow; because of their sensitivity to heat and lack of sweat gland to cool-off body heat.
- Faeces and effluent disposal problem may be encountered.
- Advisably, different breeds of pig should be started with.
- Consult experts.
When planning to establish a livestock farm, please give swine/pigs a top consideration.