What is a Solar Water Pump?
The solar water pump is a type of water pumping system that works wherever there is an abundant supply of sunlight. During hot seasons or during the time when sun rays are very strong, the water requirement is very high. A solar-powered water pump will prove to be a reliable and effective source of water for any farm.
If wind power is used instead of solar power for water pumping, it will not be as efficient as solar power because the intensity of wind is not the same at all times. When a constant supply of water is required, using wind power for water pumping may prove to be unreliable. A solar water pump is an environment-friendly product and if it can do your work and serve your purpose then why not go for it? Investing in this kind of a water pump is a good idea depending on your situation.
A solar water pump is driven by electricity which is produced by solar energy by energizing photovoltaic modules. Since solar energy varies with location, system design for this kind of pump is important. A water storage facility of the adequate amount is required to ensure the availability of water at all times and also to balance the daily variation in the demand and supply of water. So, a solar pump along with a good storage facility will be fruitful in terms of providing the required amount of water.
How Does a Solar Water Pump Work?
Benefits of Solar Water Pumps
Solar water pumps have many uses and they are:
- Home supply: A solar water pump can prove to be beneficial for meeting the water needs of an entire household. It can provide water for domestic use like drinking, cooking and other household uses. A booster pump would be best if the source of water is shallow. Many environmentalists feel using such a pump for home is a good way to go green.
- Irrigation: A solar water pump is an effective tool for farmers. Using this pump they can easily move water from rivers, lakes, etc. to irrigate crops. Farmers and zealous gardeners can make savings on their irrigation budget if they use a solar water pump rather than a fuel-powered pump.
- Livestock farm water supply: A solar-powered water pump can also prove to be beneficial for ranch owners. It can supply water for animals in a ranch in a cost-effective way. This pump can generate water from ponds, streams, deep wells and pipelines.
- Garden fountains: This pump can also generate water for fountains in your garden. You can use this water pump as garden fountains and give a stylish look and a refreshing ambience to your home without being worried about power bills since this water pump uses solar energy for generating electricity to power the water pump.
- Water treatment system: There are some areas where water quality is poor. In such a case, private companies and governments use some kind of a purification process in order to purify the water for which water pumping is required. Solar water pumps can be utilized in this case and can act as a good cost-effective replacement for fuel-powered pumps.
- Watering system required for commercial use: Various huge establishments like apartments, hotels, condominiums and government buildings are implementing a solar water pump rather than a fuel-powered pump in order to cut down their power expenses.
Depending on what purpose you want the solar water pump to solve, you have to choose a particular water pump that would be best for your needs. If you want your water pumping system should give a good mechanical and electrical performance, do carefully match the components of a solar water pumping system. Correct sizing of the water pump, controlling devices and motor, will allow the water pumping system to operate efficiently.
There are many advantages & disadvantages of a solar water pump.
Advantages of Solar Water Pumps
- There is only an initial cost that needs to be incurred by you after which you don’t have to spend any more money.
- It doesn’t pollute the environment.
- You can cut down your power expenses by using this water pump.
- If the government of your country has a policy of giving tax credit for implementing solar pump then you will be able to enjoy that tax benefit if you use this pump.
Disadvantages of Solar Water Pumps
- Sunlight may not be there during cloudy days or nights. Solar heat may vary depending on the weather condition so you need to be connected to the power grid so that in case the solar pump is unable to work properly, you can always take the help of the electric power supply from the local power grid.
- At times you may not get the expected output level.
The solar water pump has both advantages and disadvantages but with technological improvements, the disadvantages are decreasing and in the future, we will see a cheaper and more efficient solar pump.