Large White pig is an exotic breed of pig that has its origin in Yorkshire in England. It is also called English Large White or Yorkshire.
I love this particular pig breed because of a few things listed below. In fact, it has always been the first of all recommended exotic pig breeds for commercial pig farming. Any time you ask me this question: what is the best pig breed for commercial pig farming? My answer will always be this. The best breed of pig for commercial pig farming is Large White or English Large White. This is because of their characteristics that include:
- A Large White pig has a moderately long head, have a slightly dished face and a broad snout.
- Its neck is fine, long and evenly full to shoulders with deep and wide chests.
- Additionally, they have long, level and wide back.
- Mature boars have weights between 300 kg and 450kg and mature sow weighs between 250 kg and 350 kg.
- Large White pigs possess good carcass quality.
- The breed is entirely white in color.
- The breed is highly prolific and an efficient feed utilizer.