Army ants (commonly called Soldier Ants) are little living organisms that could destroy your animals or raise great havoc. Thus, they must be considered as a threat and extremely dangerous pests whenever they are sighted in your farm or around pens. They are commonly found around poultry farms.
From experience, soldier ants are capable of killing hundreds of chicks overnight. Since these small organisms are a threat to your animals, they must be kept away from your farm and animals. Adhere to the 5 tips below to keep soldier ants away from your poultry farms:
1. Farmers must remove everything that serves as an attractant to these ants from poultry pens. These include dead birds, sweeteners, foods, feeds etc. All dead birds or animals must be disposed of as soon as they are found. Additionally, feed and water remnants must not be disposed or poured on the floors around pens.
2. Limit the quantity of feed and water that falls on litters and ensure that feeds are not kept in the pens. The feed must be kept in a store with screens to prevent ants, rodents and other pests from infiltrating.
3. All feed ingredients such as amino acids, GNC, SBM and PKC must not be stored or kept in the rearing pens.Ensure the height of the foundation of your pen is far above the ground level and concrete cement must be used for construction and flooring. Cracks on walls and floors must be sealed off.
4. Ensure the height of the foundation of your pen is far above the ground level and concrete cement must be used for construction and flooring. Cracks on walls and floors must be sealed off.
5. If you discover areas or pens that are prone to infestation of soldier ants, ensure that you spray insecticides around the pens once in two weeks. Identify the colony of these ants and attack them right there using a very strong or powerful insecticide.
The measures listed above are very effective in preventing and/or controlling soldier ants in your farm. So if you have the problems of soldier ants invading your farm, make use of the above tips to keep them away.