What is a Chicken Killing Cone?
A chicken killing cone is a tool or equipment used in the chicken meat processing plant to restrain a mature chicken before stunning and slaughtering it. It could also be called a restraining cone.
Importance of Chicken Killing Cone
- The major reason why chicken killing cones are used is to prevent the chickens to be slaughtered from unnecessary pains and distress that occur when the jugular vein is cut or when the neck is off.
- Additionally, it helps to keep the birds in place and avoid headless chickens jumping around the place and defacing everywhere with blood.
- It makes the slaughtering process easier and faster.
- The blood of the chicken drains faster.
- It improves the quality, tenderness, and taste of the chicken meat
Factory Made or Self-Made Killing Cone
Of course, anything factory made is often superior and better than self-made. However, the price of the factory made is always higher.
If you want to buy factory made chicken killing cones, you might be breaking the bank because they cost a lot. If you are able to fabricate them yourself, then you will save a lot of money. In fact, if it is well-built, you can use the killing cones for a very long time.
How to Build a Chicken Killing Cone
Building a chicken killing cone is not a difficult task. Provided you have all the necessary materials, fabricating your own cone comes easy and full of fun. The materials needed are as follows:
- Plastic buckets
- Pen marker
- Saw or knife
- Drilling machine
- Binding wire
You can watch this video here to learn how to build a good chicken killing cone
How to Use a Killing Cone
- Using a chicken killing cone is also simple. You only need to hold the two legs of the bird or chicken and turn it upside down. Place the chicken into the cone with its head facing down.
- Stun the bird, pull the head and slit the neck with a sharp knife
- Wait for the blood to drain and ensure life has left the bird
- Remove the bird and continue with the remaining chickens or move to the next stage of processing.
Best Chicken Killing Cone on Afrimash
12-Bird Capacity Chicken Killing Cone
This is a fabricated killing come made with stainless steel. Hence, it is easy to clean and doesn’t get rust. It can also hold 12 chickens at once and highly suitable for a manual and semi-auto chicken processing plant.