Livestock production venture under confinement should not be undertaken without careful consideration. The following advantages and disadvantages of keeping, raising or producing animals in confinement are listed.
Advantages of Raising Animals in Confinement
The advantages are as follow:
- Less investment in land than is required under extensive systems.
- Producers can increase the number of animals without increasing land area.
- Hazards of drought and other adverse weather conditions can be reduced by storing adequate feed reserves for future use. A plane of nutrition can be accurately known and controlled in accordance with age and production needs of the animals.
- Observation for illness and injuries is quicker and easier, thus permitting prompt treatment and reduction of losses.
- Animals can be observed more closely for selection and culling.
- Individual performance records can be kept more easily.
- Precise breeding programs can be designed and controlled more easily.
- Control of estrus and use of artificial insemination programs become more practical.
- Offspring produced in confinement wean more easily and require less time to start on finishing rations.
- Meat production per unit of land may be increased by utilizing harvested forages instead of grazing.
- By-products and many low-quality feedstuffs may be utilized in formulating rations.
Disadvantages of Raising Animals in Confinement
The disadvantages are as follow:
- More investment in facilities and equipment will generally be necessary.
- More labor is required.
- Closer supervision is necessary so that the operator is confined unless he has additional help or pasture where the animals can graze or part of the time.
- Risks due to severe weather conditions such as blizzards, hurricanes, tornadoes and heavy rainfall may be increased because all the animals are concentrated in one spot.
- A higher level of management is required.
- More precise knowledge of animal nutrition and ration formulation is needed.
- An assured, adequate, economic feed supply must be available. Investment in reserve feed may be quite large.
Also Read: Reasons For Keeping Or Raising Animals